Friday, 21 March 2014

LARP - Why did I wait so long?

LARP stands for life action role playing, when I was in University I wasn't not really exposed to LARP though I had some exposure to the SCA group on campus, which honestly is just a REALLY old LARP, that has no interest in the name at all. Yes there are very big differences, but to the purpose of the story they don't make much of a difference. Ironically since I was living in Toronto at the time, I could have joined Underworld [My Current LARP of Choice] at that time and seen in grow rather than the come so late as I did now. Still in the late 90's and early 00's LARP had some rather unsavory rumours about it. The truth of witch I never bother to look into I labeled it bad, very much in the same way D&D was labeled bad in the 80's. Oh the Irony in that, given the huge RPG fan I was at the time.

Fast forward to 2012, three of my friends had gotten into LARP, Tammy who LARP many times,
Alicia and Kathleen, who start in October 2011.  Kathleen and Alicia were the ones that got me interested in it as they would talk about it during DM breaks for our D&D fourth edition game. Now how a half understood series of random events managed to get me to try LARPing, I still not quite sure of. But I grew in interest, I did a couple mini games in in McMurray and then when to the big Underworld Game.

My first game was a lots of confusion about stuff in game and out of game. I use that knowledge to advise new players. You first game is going to be a bit of a mess at the best of times. I liked it enough, I worked hard but still died during my third game losing my first character, Elric was a merc, pure fighter. he didn't have much background. He was taken a bit under the Wing of King Malic, as such Elric become quite loyal to him. Do to other stuff in my life, I took six months off. I came back and created James [see below].


Jame has a much firm placement in plot and has survived to this point. This left hand of Jarl Brynja wears his kilt with pride. A deep follower Odin his martial skills are coupled with a wisdom seeking nature. he now has a few adopted members in his Clan and firmer grasp on his role. I also LARPed in the winter, braving temperature of up to -40. Crazy fun!

If you haven't tried LARP, try it. if you have and like it, find one that does Winter LARP.

No comments:

Post a Comment